Writers’ freedom of expression organization Finnish PEN is deeply concerned of the well-being of Raif Badawi, the saudiarabian blogger and website editor, who has been imprisoned since January 2015.
Finnish PEN urges the Saudi-Arabian authorities
- to release Raif Badawi and his lawyer Walid Abu al-Khair immediately and unconditionally as they are being held solely for their peaceful exercise of their rights to freedom of expression;
- to overturn immediately Raif Badawi’s sentence of flogging as it violates the absolute prohibition in international law against torture and other cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment;
- not to bring any charge of ‘apostasy’ against Raif Badawi;
- in the meantime, for both men to be granted all necessary medical treatment and access;
- to their families and lawyers of their choice;
- to ratify, without reservation, the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights.
Appeal for Raif Badawi and Waleed Abu al-Khair
Please add your first name, surname, home town and e-mail and we will send the appeal for you.
Finnish PEN started gathering signatures to free Raif Badawi and Waleed Abu al-Khair as a part of our Day of the Imprisoned Writer 2015 campaign for Raif Badawi.